- Wear your retainer at all times, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainer out when eating, and always put it back in its case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
- Clean the retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- When your retainer is not in your mouth, it should ALWAYS be in its case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to it faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat yours with care. If your retainer gets lost or broken, call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, or you believe it needs adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust it yourself.
- Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care they will last for years!
- Remove your retainer when you go swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
The first step towards a beautiful and healthy smile is to schedule an appointment with Baltimore Orthodontic Group with a dedicated team that treats patients of all ages. We work with our patients to find a treatment option that best fits the patients’ needs, including: Invisalign, clear braces and metal braces. We have five convenient orthodontic offices in the Baltimore area. You can schedule your appointment by giving us a call at your preferred location, Ellicott City, Catonsville, Eldersburg, Eastpoint or Lutherville. Contact information is listed below. You can also send a request by email to us by clicking here.
We look forward to meeting you in our office!